Health and Safety
The health and safety of our swimmers, families, and Swim Associates are always our top priority at Big Blue. The plan below reflects what actions we’re taking to protect our Big Blue families and staff. We are also continuously monitoring CDC guidelines, plus state and local regulations in each market, so please note details may vary as required by location.
Maintaining a Clean Environment for Our Families
Enhanced Cleaning Protocols
We disinfect all high touch surfaces every 30-minutes with a product that meets EPA criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. All high touch surfaces are also deep cleaned at the end of each evening with a botanical-based disinfectant that also meets EPA criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2.
Updates to our Space
We’ve made updates to our facilities to implement social distancing and maintain good hygiene practices. Touchless hand sanitizer stations have been installed throughout each facility, as well as touchless faucets in each restroom. We have temporarily removed hard to clean surfaces including toy trains, crayons, and lollipops.
Per the CDC, there is no evidence that the virus that causes COVID-19 can be spread to people through the water in pools. At Big Blue, we keep our water ultra-clean with a state of the art pool filtration system plus a UV light sanitizer to go above and beyond standard pool operation protocol.
Caring for One Another
Every Big Moment in the pool starts with the magical combination of your swimmer’s hard work plus the instruction of our dedicated Swim Associates. To ensure we’re providing a healthy, safe environment for everyone in and out of the pool, we are following the guidelines of the CDC and taking the following precautions:
Wellness Checks Prior to Entry
All staff will have their temperatures checked at the beginning of each shift before entering the facility, and we ask that all families also complete a wellness check prior to entry. We encourage families to use our self check-in feature on the Parent Portal or on the Big Blue mobile app to check in for swim lessons and answer the COVID-19 questionnaire prior to arriving to expedite the check in process. Big Blue families can follow these step-by-step instructions on how to use this new self check-in feature, which can be accessed up to an hour before the beginning of your child's swim lesson.
Personal Protective Equipment
All staff will be provided with suitable personal protective equipment for their role, including a face mask and gloves for dry shifts and face shields for Swim Associates in the water. We strongly recommend that all adults and kids over the age of two wear face masks at all times while on site at Big Blue, with the exception of our swimmers in the water. In Illinois, per local regulations, masks are required and we also ask that parents in Baby Blue level classes wear a face covering during lessons.
Supportive Policies for Illness and Absence
Swim Associates have access to enhanced paid sick leave that allows them maximum flexibility in the event they feel ill, ensuring they don’t feel pressured to choose between their health and their work.
If you or someone in your home is feeling unwell, we ask that you stay home and take advantage of our flexible makeup lesson policy. Were someone in your household to be diagnosed with COVID-19 after being in a Big Blue facility, we ask that you call your local pool as soon as possible to let us know
Keeping Big Blue Families Safe Before, During, and After Swim Lessons
- One caregiver will be allowed per three kids to manage numbers within our facility
- Please arrive to Big Blue with all swimmers changed into their suits and ready to head straight to the pool
- We recommend you complete our online self check-in and wellness screening via the Parent Portal up to an hour prior to your lesson. Your family will still be required to also complete a temperature check at the front door prior to entering the facility. If your child or someone else at home is not feeling well, we ask that you please stay home and utilize our makeup lesson policy
- Check in and temperature checks will begin at the front door 5 minutes before the start of your scheduled lesson, at which time each family will be assigned a changing room and chair in the viewing area
- We have capped capacity of our classes for the time being to provide for increased distancing in each lane.
- Baby Blue and Bright Blue curriculums will be updated to limit usage of pool toys, and any toys used will be sanitized between each lesson
- Our lanes are 7’ wide, and all Swim Associates in the water will be wearing face shields to provide additional protection for both swimmers and staff. We also ask that parents participating in Baby Blue classes wear a mask during swim lessons
- Caregivers will be assigned a marked chair placed 6’ apart within the waiting area and will not be allowed to view lessons from on the pool deck. Within the waiting area, all cubbies and difficult to clean surfaces have been removed temporarily
- Swimmers will exit from a separate pool door to provide a one way flow of traffic on the pool deck
- Swimmers will be allowed to independently use the showers on the pool deck for a quick rinse before exiting. Private showers in the changing rooms will be closed until further notice
- Hair dryers are available behind the front desk to be loaned to individual families to ensure it is disinfected after each use. You may also bring your own hair dryer from home if you prefer
- To further encourage proper distancing, our front desk will be closed until further notice. If you have questions regarding lessons we ask that you call your local pool or use the Parent Portal for scheduling needs
- All high touch and shared surfaces are thoroughly cleaned during and after each 30 minute lesson block, as well as an enhanced cleaning protocol at close each evening